Duration: 2 years
About the course:
This is a level 3 qualification which provides comprehensive knowledge and understanding of health and social care.
Who is this course for?
The Caring Profession offers a variety of rewarding careers working with adults or children in the community. With a national shortage of qualified care professionals there could be no better time to work in the care industry.
If you want an opportunity to gain a broad knowledge and understanding of and develop skills in the health and social care sector which will enable you to secure a worthwhile career or to progress to university. Our students take part in a variety of tasks including working in and around the community which develops not only knowledge skills, but also professional interpersonal skills.
The qualification has ten core units:
- Developing effective communication in health and social care
- Equality, diversity and rights in health and social care
- Health, safety and security in health and social care
- Development through the life stages
- Fundamentals of anatomy and physiology for health and social care
- Personal and professional development in health and social care
- Sociological perspectives for health and social care
- Psychological perspectives for health and social care
- Caring for children & young people
- Values & planning
You will also study a number of option units including:
- Working in the health/social care sector
- Physiological disorders
- Introduction to Counselling
- Caring for individuals with additional needs
- Research & methodology
For the duration of the course you will spend one day each week in a work placement, in a variety of settings. Over the two years, most students attend three different placements in order to gain a variety of experiences. Whilst in placement you will build a portfolio of evidence which will include activity plans, reflective accounts, supervisor reports and reports of tutor visits.
- Each unit is assessed by a variety of assignment tasks, both written and practical. You will also be assessed at placement.
- Each unit will be graded PASS, MERIT or DISTINCTION.
- In order to gain the full qualification all units must be successfully completed.
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care. (Equivalent to 3 A levels)
Opportunities for Progression
Students who successfully complete this programme will be able to go onto further study at University. Alternatively, you are qualified to work in the Health and Social Care Sector.