How is PE taught?
Students will have 1 hour of PE each week and will be taught in single-sex lessons. Students also have the opportunity to study the Sports Leaders Level 1 Award during one of their lessons.
Sports & activities covered:
Students may study the following physical activities:
- Autumn/Spring Terms: Cross-Country, Trampettes/Trampolining, Lacrosse, Handball, Table Tennis, Health Related Fitness (Rowing, Aerobics, Outdoor Training, Circuit Training), Netball, Football, Basketball, Badminton, Rugby, Volleyball.
- Summer Term: Athletics, Rounder's, Cricket, Softball and Tennis.
Sports Leaders Level 1 Award:
The Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership provides the ideal starting point for learners who wish to develop their leadership skills, whilst under the direct supervision of their Tutor/Assessor or other suitably qualified adult. The syllabus is designed to develop generic leadership skills that can be applied to a variety of sports and/or recreational situations as well as contributing to the personal development of the learner. The Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership is a practical qualification in which learners must demonstrate their ability to lead others in simple sport/activity.
- Aim to develop their practical skills in a wide choice of activities.
- Develop their technical and tactical ability and understanding of a wide range of sports and activities.
- Improve their confidence and self-esteem.
- Develop their teamwork, commitment, enthusiasm and communication skills.
- Develop a greater understanding of healthy lifestyles.
- Plan, perform and lead a warm up for themselves and others in a variety of sports and activities.
- Develop, broaden and apply their range of skills and tactics in each sport or activity they participate in.
- Demonstrate a greater understanding of the associated rules and tactics in each sport.
- Be able to evaluate their own and others performances through observation and analysis.
Students will be assessed through:
- Their practical performance in terms of technical ability, knowledge and understanding.
- Their ability to evaluate their own and others performances.
- Their knowledge and understanding of rules/tactics.
- Their effort and behaviour.
- Indoor activities – Black shorts, white T-shirts, black socks and trainers.
- Outdoor activities –Black shorts, white T-shirt, black socks, rugby tops/red jumpers, trainers/boots.
- Other possible kit – Plain black tracksuit bottoms, gum shield, shin pads, hair bobbles.