We study AQA GCSE English Language. The specification can be found here.
For English Language, students sit two final exam papers:
- Paper 1: Explorations in Creative Reading and Writing - 1 hour 45 minutes – worth 50%
- For Section A, students read and answer questions on one piece of literary fiction.
- For Section B, students produce a piece of descriptive or narrative writing.
- Paper 2: Writers' Viewpoints and Perspectives - 1 hour 45 minutes – worth 50%
For Section A, students read, compare and answer questions on one nineteenth century non-fiction text and one modern non-fiction text.
For Section B, students produce a piece of non-fiction writing to explain, instruct, advise, argue or persuade in the form of a letter, article, text for a leaflet, text of a speech or an essay.
All texts in the examination will be unseen.
Students will read and analyse a range of fiction and non-fiction texts in preparation for their final exams. All resources and practice exam style tasks can be accessed by students via the English Intranet: https://sites.google.com/george-spencer.notts.sch.uk/english
We study AQA GCSE English Literature. The specification can be found here.
Students study the following texts for English Literature:
- Romeo and Juliet or Macbeth – William Shakespeare
- An Inspector Calls – J. B. Priestley
- A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
- Anthology Poetry – Love and Relationships
- A range of unseen poetry
We recommend the CGP series of study guides for both English Language and English Literature. These are available to purchase from school at key points in the school year; letters will be sent out about how to purchases these via Squid. They are also available on Amazon and from other suppliers.
- CGP New English Language AQA Workbook ENAW41
- CGP New Spelling, Punctuation & Grammar Complete Study and Practice EGS42
- CGP New English Literature AQA Unseen Poetry Study and Exam Practice EUAR42
- CGP GCSE English Text Guide 'A Christmas Carol' ETCC41
- CGP GCSE English Text Guide 'An Inspector Calls' ET144
- CGP GCSE English Text Guide 'Romeo and Juliet' ETR44
- CGP GCSE English Text Guide 'Macbeth' ETM43
- CGP GCSE English Literature AQA Poetry Guide – Love and Relationships Anthology RHR43